Top MBA Colleges in India
What are the Top MBA Colleges in India? This post provides you with information on the best b schools and the last dates to apply. In our last post, we had given a detailed outline of the various MBA Entrance exams along with a lots of information about their deadlines. I get this question (or different variants of the same) quite often.
“Where do I apply for the Non-IIM institutes?”
A lot of students mix up the meaning of applying for an exam and applying for a b-school. There is a difference. By applying for certain exams, you are automatically applying for the colleges as well, like CAT for IIMs, IIFT, XAT for XLRI etc. But then, there are many other private institutions which accept CAT/XAT/GMAT etc. scores but one will have to apply separately. The application process to those institutes is different from applying for CAT or XAT etc. They have separate deadlines, fees, programs to apply for and many other things to take care of.
Hence, this blog discusses
The following lists are in alphabetical order and do not provide the exact rank.
Tier 1 Colleges
These institutes are top of the line, considered to be the best B-schools in the country. They have been consistently ranked as the top 15 b-schools of India and are popular among the recruiters in terms of brand value and quality of education. These b-schools are highly competitive and are very difficult to get into. A student needs to be in the top 1% or 2% to be eligible for an admission call.
- Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi (FMS)
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi (IIFT)
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM A)
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIM B)
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIM C)
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore (IIM I)
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIM K)
- Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow (IIM L)
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad (ISB)
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS)
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon (MDI)
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai (NITIE)
- Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay (SJMSOM)
- S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai (SPJIMR)
- Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur (XLRI)
Tier 2 Colleges
Tier 2 institutes are next in line, having established their brand name and consistent placement records. These institutes are in the second 15 to 30 in terms of rankings. Some institutes are old and a few newly established institutes. These b-schools are still a very good option for anybody looking to do an MBA from an established b-school.
- Department of Management Studies, IISc, Bangalore
- Department of Management Studies, IIT Delhi
- Department of Management Studies IIT Madras
- Indian Institute of Management, Kashipur
- Indian Institute of Management, Raipur
- Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Management, Rohtak
- Indian Institute of Management, Shillong
- Indian Institute of Management, Trichy
- Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai (NMIMS)
- PGDBA – IIM Calcutta, IIT Kharagpur, ISI Kolkata*
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune (SCMHRD)
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune (SIBM)
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai (TISS)
- Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur (VGSOM)
- Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB), Bhubaneswar
Tier 3 Colleges
Tier 3 colleges come next, and are a good bunch. These are still great places to learn and build a career. Do make an informed decision before you decide to join. Some of the colleges in this list have a fantastic Return on your Investment.
- Department of Financial Studies (DFS), University of Delhi
- Department of Management Studies, IIT Roorkee
- Delhi School of Economics (DSE), University of Delhi
- Goa Institute Of Management, Goa (GIM)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai (GLIM)
- Indian Institute of Management, Amritsar
- Indian Institute of Management, Bodh Gaya
- Indian Institute of Management, Jammu
- Indian Institute of Management, Nagpur
- Indian Institute of Management, Sambalpur
- Indian Institute of Management, Sirmaur
- Indian Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Industrial and Management Engineering, IIT Kanpur
- International Management Institute, New Delhi (IMI)
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad (IMT)
- Institute of Rural Management, Anand (IRMA)
- K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research, Mumbai (KJSOM)
- Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad (MICA)
- T. A. Pai Management Institute, Manipal (TAPMI)
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai (We-B)
Top MBA colleges in India and B-school DeadlinesThe following table provides information on the application deadlines for the institutes discussed above. Follow the links by clicking on the college name. You can also filter college deadlines, based on last date by clicking on the header. Also use the search bar to shortlist colleges based on scores accepted.
|Name of the Institute||Application Begins on||Last Date for Applying||Scores Accepted|
|IIMs (Along with CAT 2019 Application)||Aug 7, 2019||Sep 25, 2019 (Extended)||CAT|
|XLRI (Along with XAT 2019 Application)||Aug 23, 2019||Nov 30, 2019 |
(without late fee)
Dec 7, 2019
(with late fee)
|IIFT (Along with IIFT 2020 Application)||Sep 9, 2019||Oct 25, 2019||IIFT|
|SCMHRD and SIBM (Along with SNAP 2019 Application)||Aug 16, 2019||Nov 23, 2019||SNAP|
|SPJIMR||Sep 19, 2019||Nov 22, 2019||CAT/XAT/GMAT|
|MDI, Gurgaon||Sep 2nd week (Open)||Nov 22, 2019||CAT/GMAT|
|IMT, Ghaziabad||23 Aug, 2019||Nov 22, 2019||CAT/XAT/GMAT|
|FMS, New Delhi||Oct 10, 2019||Nov 25, 2019||CAT|
(Respective IITs website)
|Jan 1st/2nd week, 2020||Jan 4th week, 2020||CAT|
|NITIE, Mumbai||Oct 31, 2019||Feb 3, 2020||CAT|
|IISc, Bengaluru||Feb 1st/2nd week, 2020||March 4th week, 2020||CAT|
|DSE (UoD), New Delhi||Nov 2nd/3rd week||Jan 1st week, 2020||CAT|
|DFS (UoD), NewDelhi||Oct 23, 2019||Jan 6, 2020||CAT|
|XIMB, Bhubaneswar||Sep 2nd week (Open)||Dec 9, 2019||CAT/XAT/GMAT/X-GMT|
|IRMA||Oct 1st week (Open)||Jan 10, 2020||CAT/XAT|
|GLIM, Chennai||Sep 2nd week (Open)||1 Year MBA: |
Round 1 : 30th Nov
Round 2 : 31st Jan
2 Year MBA:
Feb last week
|IMI, Delhi||Sep 2nd week (Open)||Dec 2, 2019||CAT/GMAT|
|GIM, Goa||Oct 1st week (Open)||Dec 31, 2019||CAT/XAT/GMAT/CMAT|
|KJSOM, Mumbai||Sep 2nd week (Open)||Jan 14, 2020||CAT/XAT/GMAT/CMAT|
|TAPMI||Nov 2019 (Open)||Jan 17, 2020||CAT/XAT/GMAT|
|Welingkar, Mumbai||Nov 2019 (Open)||Jan, 2020||CAT/XAT/GMAT/CMAT/ATMA/MH-CET|
|TISS, Mumbai||Oct 18, 2019||Online: Nov 25, 2019|
By post: Dec 3, 2019
Bookmark this page to keep track of your application deadlines!
Colleges to apply
This is an extension of the rule we had stated in the previous blog on exams. Apply for 5 colleges above and 5 colleges below your calibre. Always spread your risks. Do not restrict yourself to apply to very few colleges. An MBA would on an average set you back by thereabouts of 15 lakhs. It is unwise to restrict yourself from applying to a bunch of colleges due to the application fees involved.
What colleges to apply based on past acads and CAT Score
Should I worry about Specialization?
To start with, there is no hard and fast specialization in most MBAs. A degree in MBA-Finance is not like a BE Civil engineering degree. A student can specialize in finance and/or marketing or neither and still get a job in P&G or ICICI. A rule that you can keep in mind while applying to companies is this – If you are applying to P&G call yourself a marketing guy, if you are applying to Goldman Sachs call yourself a fin guy. So, do not worry about specialization till you join college. You won’t have to worry about this until you start your second year if you are doing a two-year course.
Keep a tab on the application deadlines. Do not wait till the last day to fill any application. You will have to upload certificates and photos, provide details about your interests and hobbies, write SOPs and complete many other formalities.
All the best!
Sasidhar Swaminathan, creates content for 2IIM. Potterhead. Loves Reading. Spotify is my go to place.